Image copyright HUFFPOST Africa Image caption The government of Nigeria has rejected the report as “fake news”
The Nigerian government has rejected a report alleging that security forces shot dead civilians at a toll gate on Lekki Mainland in Lagos.
The report said that witnesses had seen two police and six civilian suspects shot dead by soldiers.
The Lagos state government said the killing was committed by unknown gunmen who escaped in vehicles.
It insisted that the killing was a “false flag operation”.
It said two of the two policemen suspected to have killed the civilians had been arrested.
According to the reports in an African news agency, several people witnessed the killings while others said they had been denied entry to the toll gates and asked to go back to where they came from.
The report claimed the toll gates will now be shut for security reasons.
After the shooting happened, people who returned from the toll gates were held hostage at the facility for hours as armed soldiers arrived and closed it down.
According to sources who spoke to the report, the soldiers allegedly took away “a variety of valuables” from people who came to collect their tolls.
The shooting incident was reported to have happened on Saturday during nationwide strike by commercial bus drivers in Lagos.
Lagos is the biggest city in Africa’s most populous country, where politics, crime and poverty are commonplace.
The country’s President Muhammadu Buhari, a former military ruler, won last year’s election on a promise to fight corruption and tackle the Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.
In his first budget as president, he has announced plans to spend about $29bn (£22bn) on infrastructure.
In May he told the BBC that if soldiers were finding crimes growing, then they had more to do “on the security side”.
Get the latest news by email Sign up to Get our daily newsletter , including breaking news, daily names and reactions, plus interviews with nation’s leaders, live and online.