Teachers and business owner who died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb brought light to those around them, families say
A teacher and owner of a boutique hotel, named as a person of interest in Thursday’s fatal carbon monoxide fire, died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a private home they booked at the Mexico CityAirbnb.
The owner and teacher who died were found in a third-floor apartment Sunday morning, and a Mexican judge ordered the search of the entire building where he lived, including the apartment where the teacher died. A woman who works for one of the city’s largest media companies, named as a person of interest in Thursday’s tragedy, was removed from her job last weekend and the company is currently conducting an internal investigation.
“My husband and I, and everyone there, were all in shock when we heard what happened to our teacher in the building,” said María Inés Salas, the owner of the Mexico City “Casa de los Muertos” boutique hotel who rented the third floor at the time.
“This is a terrible, terrible tragedy that happened to all of us and we’re all trying to figure out what happened, who did it, how could this happen.”
A third-floor apartment at the Mexico CityAirbnb, where a teacher and hotel owner died of carbon monoxide poisoning last week.
Salas said she and her husband were supposed to arrive at the apartment at 1:30 am Sunday morning to meet their teacher, a teacher at a private elementary school she went to in the western city of San Miguel Teapa. However, she didn’t arrive and began getting frantic messages from friends. At 4:30 am, she got a call from the building management company saying the teacher had died.
After calling the manager, who said he didn’t have any information and didn’t get the call until the morning, Salas called police officers at her local police station, who said they were checking out her building and would get back to her later.
“It was a lot of