12 February 1927
Golf Club is over 90 years old. At the turn of the century, it was a private club, out of which came a variety of public clubs, and today, the golf club is the heart of Waterville’s estate.
In April, all visitors to Waterville will be permitted to drive their vehicles over the tarred roads into the village. The tarmac road will carry Charles Chaplin’s father, Frantisek, straight across the estate to the road level when he arrives from Lanzarote.
First golfers arrived in the village of Waterville. Since 1890, it has been a pleasant day out. The 16th Course (now the 18th Course) with its fairways, bunkers and chipping greens, is probably the best golf course in the nation. The 18th Course provides a magnificent vista of the Lake of Orleans and its interesting yellow greens.
The opening of the 20-room and 6,000 sq ft Connaught Tower was given the official seal of approval by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The tower was the object of intense interest because of the architect’s interest in the history of the village. A committee set up at Waterville of many eminent Scottish architects had already confirmed Mackintosh’s designs, so his approval was not surprising.